Wednesday, January 8, 2014

That Feeling of Accomplishment

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." Benjamin Franklin

This afternoon while hiking to the top of Snow King with a heavy bag, my skis and donning some really stiff, cold ski boots... I had a lot of time to think. I tried listening to music, but that just irritated me... so I climbed in silence. My heartbeat, while heavy, was stifled by the many layers I had on, but kept me company while the wheels turned in my head.




Since the beginning of December I have been training for some kind of serious running event in the future... originally it was a marathon, now I'm not sure. I know that I want to compete in something, but only time will tell what that event might be. Last week I was logging 7-10 miles on the treadmill and climbing over 2000 feet in one workout. This week, I've taken a little break from running and have been climbing Snow King in the cold. I won't lie, it's steep, it makes your heart beat out of your chest and the whole way up you're thinking, "Why am I doing this again? and why do I keep coming back?"

I get the exact same feeling when I step onto the treadmill... and into the gym... and into a yoga class. I want to quit within the first few minutes. Every. Single. Time. I get that feeling whenever something scares me, or overly excites me.

But typically I don't give in. Most people don't. And we go back. Why?!

The answer I settled on this afternoon, is that we choose to challenge ourselves because the feeling we get afterwards is exhilarating. It's a sense of accomplishment -- a reminder that we are capable of doing. Doing anything if we really set a goal and see it through. Challenging our bodies in such physical ways shows you what your mind is capable of. Even when your body wants to shut down, you make it keep going. You put one foot in front of the other either very quickly on the treadmill or fairly slowly up a mountain.

What is so funny to me is that once you get out of the habit of challenging yourself, scaring yourself or pushing yourself -- you simply forget how incredible that feeling is and you begin to fall into a slump of inactivity... and inevitably boredom and unhappiness. At least I do.


Here are some exercises I use to get out of a slump...


  • Figure out what inspires you... what gets you excited. What scares you? What do others do that make you green with envy? Who inspires you?



  • Make a goal to try one of those things... at least once -- soon. I find that setting a goal and setting a "to do by date" really helps to light a fire under my ass in terms of getting it done.



  • Find a friend to do whatever it is you want to do. Make them do it with you.



  • Do it. Do Something. Check it off your list.



  • Now..... GO!






No comments:

Post a Comment