Sunday, January 12, 2014

Reliving Childhood in a Ski Town

Like a few people you might meet here and there, I grew up in a ski town -- Jackson Hole. I'm rare... or at least that's what everyone (tourists and residents alike) tell me.

Courtesy of Jackson Hole Mountain Resort



Of course, like most 18 year olds, I hight tailed it out of the nest and ran away to college... in California (the only coast my parents would let me go to). I stupidly rushed through college and graduated in three years. I was determined to make a career, make a living, make it big! How I planned on doing that, I have no idea. Literally, no direction. With my double major degree in Anthropology and Art History in hand, I walked into the real world without a job, without a place to live and a whole summer to figure it out.

That summer I lived in a garage on Swanton Blvd. in Santa Cruz, just two houses away from Natural Bridges State Beach. I lived with 5 other people, most of whom I had met my freshman year of college. Two guys, three girls... and me. The house was named the "Beach House," and the stories about what went on there that summer still remain in the vault.

We surfed, we partied, we sunbathed nude on our balcony. We biked, we jogged and we swam naked after sunset. We all worked at restaurants, so we partied into the wee hours of the night and usually woke up early to either paddle down to the Lane just for the hell of it or take a morning jog together. Ahh, to be young -- so much energy!

Now, looking at 30, I'm reliving my college years -- childhood, if you will.

I work at a restaurant.

I live with a dude. Just friends. Both 7 years old at heart.

I party hard. I play hard. 

I eat too much pizza.

I have a bunch of friends who are in their early, very early, 20s. And... I'm suddenly attracted to 24 year old boys.

I drink PBR and Reineer. I am NOT a hipster.

I didn't really plan on this all happening. In fact, I closed down MY OWN BUSINESS in Santa Cruz to move out here. To move out here and make more money. To become a grown up. But instead, this ski town has catapulted me back into my youth. And... I LOVE IT.

If you haven't done so already, I encourage you to move to a ski town, no matter what your age -- no matter what your profession -- no matter how grown up you think you are. Trust me -- you will revert.


  • Ski towns attract a young crowd, and every season, the snow draws another young crowd, keeping the median age around 26 (including all those old farts who stuck around). 
  • Ski towns attract an attractive crowd (might I add, an attractive rich crowd). Girls who look like they could be models -- professional athletes -- wealthy, wealthy trust funders... all of whom are well educated, interesting to talk to and likely, if they're living in a ski town, working at a restaurant, bar or living off of daddy's money. So.... my point, ski towns are full of hookups. HOT hookups, for everyone. Girl's have it the best, there tends to be a 3-1 ratio.
  • There is ALWAYS something to do. Ski, snowboard, snowshoe, ice climb, paraglide with your skis on, cross country ski, make snow angels, ice skate... and in the summer, you have access to the best lakes, rivers, hiking trails, bars. And not to mention, the food in ski towns is top notch... and you'll likely get a discount since you'll be working at one.
  • You will DEFINITELY try something new. It's just like being a kid again -- learning, getting that feeling of timid excitement, and finally doing it! Skiing, backcountry skiing, paragliding, snowmobiling, kayaking.... the list really goes on and on.

You can do weird stuff like this.



So, if you can't live in a ski town, at least live by the rules of a ski town... even for just a little bit:

1. Don't let money change you. Your life is meant for living... not for making a living. Make a life.

2. Get out more and NEVER settle for routine. Scare yourself. Make new friends (especially make friends with much younger people).

3. Don't be so serious. Go have a drink. Maybe 3... maybe 5. Dance like you mean it... and if you're in Wyoming, make sure it's the Western Swing.

4. Stop worrying about how many calories you're taking in... if you're living the ski town lifestyle, you're burning a ton with all those activities... and with all that dancing... and all that socializing.

5. Drink some tall cans. Nothing takes you back to your youth like saving money on booze. 

...and most importantly, remember, this is Never Never Land... and life is what you make it, so live.


Courtesy of TGR 

No comments:

Post a Comment