Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Born Lost

“I was born lost and take no pleasure in being found.” 
― John SteinbeckTravels With Charley: In Search of America

If I learned anything from 2013, it's that life is a series of precious moments in which we are given the incredible opportunity to make the best of them or simply waste them away. The year was full of ups and downs, laughs and cries, joy and heartache, but most of all, 2013 was the year of survival.

Looking back, I regret that I didn't do more with all those precious moments, and now, 355 days away from turning 30, I feel the need to catapult myself into a year full of LIVING and not just surviving... because the truth is, no matter what hand you're dealt, there's always a sunrise awaiting you with a new day and a plethora of opportunities.

"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy... Let's go exploring!"



My mom was diagnosed with cancer in 2013 and my dad had a close call after a series of small strokes. Until now, I had a hard time coming to terms with the fact that these "close calls" were actually wake up calls. Wake up calls to enjoy the moments that make up this incredible life, to worry less and equally as important, to take care of my body... after all, we only get one.

“The sad ones are those who waste their energy in trying to hold it back, for they can only feel bitterness in loss and no joy in gain.” 
― John SteinbeckTravels with Charley: In Search of America

This morning I started re-reading my favorite book of all time, Travels with Charley: In Search of America by Steinbeck. For years I have been inspired by his incurable disease for getting lost. I, too, have always had the urge to be "someplace else." I get stir crazy, bored and anxious in my work, my interests, and my surroundings. I crave the experience of learning something new, challenging myself, connecting with new people and seeing sites I've never seen before.

For a few moments this morning I felt a little bummed out because there are certain things in my life that tie me down. One is having a dog. I can no longer just take off with a moment's notice or leave for an indefinable period of time... But then I opened the pages of my book and realized Lilly and I can explore together, and that's what we will do.

This year will be full of adventures, travels, ups and downs, learning curves, and love. It will NOT be filled with regrets because every mistake I make will teach me something... and those lessons are invaluable.

This is my lofty list for 2014, what's yours?

1. Read Travels with Charley: In Search of America.  AGAIN. If you haven't read it, you should read it.
2. Run a marathon....in Hawaii .
3. Learn Italian, then eat and drink and ride a bike through Italy.
4. Make more money than I made before.
5. Follow Steinbeck's American road trip route with Lilly.
6. Travel and Write.



“I am happy to report that in the war between reality and romance, reality is not the stronger.” 
― John SteinbeckTravels With Charley: In Search of America

Three big trips in one year? It can be done, I just have to make it happen.

And here's some food for thought:

1. 37 Things You'll Regret When You're Old
2. 23 Things to Do Before You're Married
3. 7 Tips to Starting 2014 Positively 
4. My Very First Travel Blog




No comments:

Post a Comment